Thursday, September 8, 2011

Privacy and Social Media


I struggled with how to structure an introduction in to my first discussion of a news article for this social media blog until I realized that my struggle itself is a part of this discussion and this was the point of the article all along. Unlike any other time in history the human race has given the potential for any voice to become global and that has increased the relevance and importance of everyone's unique narrative.

This social media megaphone has brought greater significance and happiness for those broadcasting, but the Times article I recently read is also quick to point out that those speaking and expressing are not the only ones who benefit. The article begins with a story about a girl who uses youtube as an outlet for expression, but believes it's the insight in to other's lives from which she derives the most benefit. In her own words, "You have people from all walks of life wanting to share a piece of their life with you," Leila says. "The feeling of togetherness is unbeatable. It's a beautiful thing." I think it's easy to relate with this for anyone. I know personally I have a much deeper experience and relationship with music then I could ever had hoped to have in an age without the internet. I have managed to have conversations with artists and academics I otherwise would have maybe never even been exposed too.

Of course, as with any innovation or technology the consequences aren’t always positive consequences. Privacy is the obvious issue and the Time article uses the Mark Foley incident with congress. But that story only scratches the surface. Mark foley’s indiscretions were hardly private to anyone who knew him, but it wasn’t until the internet’s ease of access to the rest of the country that Foley’s life got turned upside down. And that’s kind of the real story. Like never before people all around the world have to be ever conscious of their privacy. Maybe before protecting your precious documents or letter was all one had to concern themselves with, but now that private knowledge is constantly at risk, there is no way to digitize your imprint on the internet. If someone has the resources, and wants to, they can find out more about where you are and who you are then ever before. Because of my beliefs and opinions most people would probably immediately assume that I would be blind with rage over the potential for such ubiquitous, egregious and subversive threats to our privacy, especially from governments and corporations. Maybe it is because I am a member of generation Y and just looks at the world a bit differently than the thinkers I’ve admired before me but I like my technology. I suppose when it really comes down to it I am willing to have to be a little more open than the generations before; especially if that means that society as a response too will have to become more open. And why wouldn’t it? Society when you look past the institutions and spectacle is ultimately the shared values and beliefs of individuals. Society as an organism must change if its DNA mutates. Indeed I think the Arab spring and all protests and revolutions in this twitter and youtube age is evidence of that fact. With the veil lifted people like never before feel the protection to speak freely, change the world and fight for peace. That is what keeps me optimistic even in the face of threats of Orwellian big brother societies, totalitarian regimes, and corporations against our privacy. It is those institutions whose privacy is truly at risk. What keeps people complacent is hiding the truth from them. That is how humans can enact genocide and ecocide. But when the people see the truth complacency gives way to action.

No comments:

Post a Comment