
In response to chapter 17 in the Twitter Revolution book -
I like the idea behind contests are the new advertising. I think it is very true that this type of advertising will be the future of advertising. Whether or not it will wholly replace old advertising techniques; I'm less persuaded.
On a more general note, to talk about the origin theoretically of such a model; I think we are seeing a "gamefication" of all aspects of our culture, advertising being one of the earlier adopters.
This idea isn't even new in advertising. The most obvious example is McDonald's Monopoly game every year. Essentially this is the same model as the example in the chapter of the book. Close interest and sales in hopes of winning something. Yes you don't have to buy in the example in the book but both uses the prospect of winning a game to add to buzz and exposure.
I think there are pros and cons to gamefication in society and hope to devote a paper to it in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment