
I enjoyed the presentation this week over Organizational use of social media, particularly the focus on celebrity's use for branding and reputation. Though the lady gaga example is an excellent another example that seems even more amazing is Tila Tequila. Numerous articles have been written about her ascendance to fame, the short of it is that it was meteoric and it was all thanks to Myspace.
She would readily admit in interviews that her asset was her attractiveness and her ability to spread her message across social media platforms. Her message was I'm hot, so hot I should be a celbrity. And magically it has worked, since this beginning she's starred on multiple reality shows, and I'm sure makes far more money than me.
This ABC article talks about the unwittingly branding, and advertising that can also result with this technology and age.
I think one of the strengths of social media is that, in theory, anyone could become a celebrity, a respected professional, or anything you want to accomplish. Individuals like Tila Tequila, Perez Hilton or that weird Leave Britney Alone-guy are great example of that. On the contrary, and since you mentioned Lady Gaga, I think the perfect scenario occurs when you have the talent to back up your social media presence, regardless of what makes you notorious first.
ReplyDeletePersonalities, like Tila Tequila and Perez Hilton, demonstrate the beauty, and perhaps the biggest drawback, of social media sharing. Anyone who is noticeably talented, funny, good looking, or laughable can gain an audience of millions within days. This challenges conventional wisdom that states hard work, dedication, and perseverance breed success. The truth seems to be that possessing the “it factor” proves more rewarding. Compare the number of views that acoustic soul group Karmin has for their cover of “Big White Room” to Young Hummer’s original track “Lemme Smang it.” Both were uploaded around the same time. Karmin’s piece exhibits way more talent; however Young Hummer’s track has more than five times the views. The song is ridiculous, but it’s funny and catchy. What message does this send to aspiring young hearts everywhere? If at first you don’t succeed, promote your failure on YouTube.
ReplyDelete